Thursday, April 1, 2010

Our First Follow-up Doctor's Visit

We drove to Thomasville today to see a pediatric cardiologist for our one-week follow-up. We left the house at 7:30 a.m. and returned just after 2 p.m.. The kids got home and crashed, so I got to work for a while. Trying to get more DVDs listed.

We took the file for the X-ray we had taken yesterday on CD to the doc. CD! Can't believe how far we've come with this whole digital age thing. I remember back in the day we had to wait for the films, and then carry those bulky things around to the different doctors who needed to see them. Not so anymore!

Of course, it would be helpful if the doc could open the file -- when we left, he still hadn't seen the x-ray, and we're still waiting on some sort of communication from the docs office. I left a couple messages, hoping to hear back from them today, but since it's just after 7 p.m. here now, I don't think that's going to happen. The radiologist also called and left messages, so hopefully one or both of us will get a call back.

Our appointment was at 9:30 a.m., and they called us in to the room at 11:45 a.m.. It actually wasn't too bad of a wait, the atmosphere was pleasant and I had good company! :D

As far as Malkolm's incision sites, go, there is some unexpected redness around the defibrillator site that wasn't there yesterday, so just to be on the safe side, we have some antibiotics that we will be taking for 10 days. The sternum incision appears to be healing really well.

Doc did say that Malkolm's heart was a LOT quieter. I haven't tried to listen to his chest yet -- before his surgery, I didn't need a stethoscope to hear the murmur, I just would put my ear on his chest and I could hear it loud and clear.

We will have appointments monthly with this cardiologist group for a while, and monthly appointments with the defibrillator group for a while. We are going to get very used to uncomfortable chairs, multi-colored hard carpet, elevator music and pleasant plant pictures on the walls for the next several months.

But, the good news is that Malkolm's story (and his story) has brought in just over $5,000 (this is the free and clear total after ebay fees and taxes) which helps tremendously with the financial burden of these follow-ups and travel to get to these appointments. This includes a very successful fundraiser Malkolm's cousins in California held -- selling plates of food to help their cousin. These nieces and nephews of mine and their families and friends went way above and beyond in their efforts to help Malkolm.

I must say, there is a certain level of appreciation and support that you have to see to believe that runs through from the youngest Poyer to the oldest. When I met my husband 19 years ago it was clear to me that he was from a special family, and I am so proud to be a member of the Poyer Enterprise (as one of his brothers refers to the Poyer clan). There is a lot of love, that is for sure.

Malkolm is improving noticeably almost every day -- and today when I went in to wake him up to go to the appointment, he was sound asleep and actually almost on his right side. He's always been a side-sleeper and this whole laying-on-his-back-propped-with-pillows thing is just not his bag and has not been easy for him. Seeing him cuddled around his new teddy bear (and although not quite totally on his side, but getting there) was just a really nice way to start the day. Up to this point, he has been unable to do that because of the pain associated with that position.

I took this pic this morning before we left for our appointment. Other than the fact he looks tired and tends to slump a little now, I still can't believe he had open heart surgery just over a week ago. He is reading again, he read the second book in the Percy Jackson series yesterday, and the third today. He is still signing stories -- it is taking him a bit to get back into the swing of things, but he is slowly bouncing back.

Right now, the kids are watching The Ten Commandments. After we watched the animated Prince of Egypt, Malkolm asked if I had any copies of The Ten Commandments -- and it just so happens I did have one that had a ripped plastic cover which I hadn't sold yet. He is comparing and taking notes. He said he wants to read the story in Exodus again to see how the movies differ or align with the Bible. We talked about the Isrealites again -- how they walked through the sea on dry land and still they doubted. They had food falling from the sky for nourishment and still they doubted. They had a pillar of fire between them and their enemies and still they doubted. Amazing, human nature, isn't it?

I guess I should go monitor this. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I think I recall some grown-up stuff we might need to skip over.

Today was a good day, though, a good day indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment